Plastic breast milk storage bottles are durable, reusable and designed to withstand the freezing and thawing of breast milk. They're stronger than breast milk storage bags, less expensive than glass containers, and hold more milk than storage trays. Plastic bottles are also convenient: you can often use the same bottle to collect your breast milk directly from your breast pump, store the milk, and feed your baby. Check to see which bottles are compatible with your pump.
Plastic bottles should be BPA (Bisphenol A)-free. Some bottles are sold in pre-sterilized packages, while others will need to be washed before you use them. Read the package instructions carefully.
- Plastic bottles save time since the same bottle can be used for pumping, storing and feeding.
- Plastic bottles are more economical than glass bottles.
- Plastic bottles thaw out more quickly compared to glass bottles.
- Plastic bottles do not break as easily as glass bottles, and they're stronger than plastic storage bags.
- Plastic bottles need to be cleaned after each use.
- Bottles take up more storage space compared to plastic storage bags.
- Bottles need an airtight seal. Make sure you use bottles specifically designed for use in the freezer.
- Bottles should only be filled 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to allow for milk expansion. If you overfill, a bottle it could burst.
There are many different storage bottles available. Below is a list of 7 popular styles.
Medela 80 ml storage bottles hold just over 2 ½ ounces of breast milk. They're the perfect size for storing and freezing small amounts of breast milk for a newborn, and they're BPA-free and freezer-safe. They can be placed in the dishwasher or in Medela's Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags for cleaning, and they're compatible with Medela Breast Pumps.
Made from BPA-free plastic, these reuseable bottles are compatible with Medela Breast Pumps. Each bottle comes with a nipple and a travel cap, so they're convenient to use on the go: you can pump, store and feed using one container. They're freezer-safe and can be used for long-term storage, and they're also dishwasher-safe—or they can be cleaned using Medela's Quick Clean Micro Steam Bags. These containers are available in 5-ounce (150 ml) and 8-ounce (250 ml) sizes.
These BPA-free containers can hold up to 6 oz (180 ml) of breast milk and are designed for space-saving storage. Compatible with Avent pumps, nipples and drinking spouts, they're shaped like cups and can be stacked on top of each other. They're freezer- and dishwasher-safe, and can be used to store baby food once they're no longer needed for breast-milk storage.